World traveler* we met in Chili, – *but makes Miyuki and I look like Sunday morning park walkers –
Runner and Author of Dogs Without Borders covers poisoning a bit in her incredible book.
Here’s more details about antidotes they use in the Sinai in Egypt.
For those of you who are not aware, poisoning is a way some countries lesson dog populations.
In America it’s at the local shelter by injection (sometimes gas still).
Some public places put down poison to kill rats, and your dog can be vulnerable in any country.
This isn’t to alarm you. But add this stuff to your dog’s medical kit.
If it’s a Sunday and you don’t know where the local vet is, you’ll want to act.
FIRST AID POISONED DOG OR CAT
3 types of poison used in Dahab, sometimes in combination:
– Strychnine- Rat poison (Warfarin)- Organophosphate
Only make the dog vomit if you see the dog actually eating something poisoned.
If you don’t see it or if the dog has convulsions don’t try to make it vomit
because it can get into its lungs and cause pneumonia.
How to make a dog vomit : give it salt water
or: put a little salt on its tongue, not too much, this can be dangerous for the dog
– Symptoms (after 10 – 20 min.) – convulsions- big eye pupils
– Treatment for dog 20 kg Valium / Diazepam
– Use rectal: 1 ampoule in syringe without needle, ½ ampoule after 10 min, ½ ampoule after 10 min.
NO atropine, this speeds up the heart rate.
Dissolve activated charcoal (pills or powder) in 10 or 20 ml water and squeeze it into in the mouth with a big syringe.
Don’t do this when the dog is convulsing.
• Important: get the dog in a cool, dark place without noise, switch off doorbell and telephone,
sudden sounds trigger convulsions, don’t speak loud
RAT POISON / WARFARIN :
– Symptoms- bleeding from mouth and nose- blood spotting in whites of eyes and/or inside lips
– Treatment for dog 20 kg
Vitamin K5 ampules in different places under skin.
You can use the same syringe.
After that: 2 ampules every 12 hrs for 5 days.
When a dog survived Warfarin poisoning keep it calm for a couple of days,
don’t let it run because it can cause bleeding in the joints.
– Symptoms: difficult breathing a lot of saliva small eye pupils
– Treatment:1 ampule atropine under the skin or in the muscle
Dissolve activated charcoal (pills or powder) in 10 or 20 ml water
and squeeze it into in the mouth with a big syringe.
First Aid Cats: symptoms are the same take ¼ of described doses